How can I eat healthy while on the run?
Eating healthy in our busy lives is an ongoing struggles that most of us face more often than not. Unfortunately the convenience of fast food outweighs the unhealthy factor when you’re starving after a long day at the office! Today we’ll be talking about ways you can eat healthy even when you’re on the go! Do you often find yourself reaching for unhealthy, yet convenient food after a long day? Try Fresh ‘n Fit Cuisine‘s chef prepared, gourmet meals! We do the cooking for you, you just heat and enjoy! Whether you’re looking for low carb, paleo, gluten free, vegetarian, or to build your own menu, we have something for everyone! Subscribe to our blog and get 10% off your first order with promo code BLOG10!
Here’s 10 ways to eat healthy while you’re on the go, brought to you by Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
1. Think ahead and plan where you will eat. Consider what meal options are available. Look for restaurants or carry-out with a wide range of menu items.
2. Take time to look over the menu and make careful selections. Some restaurant menus may have a special section for “healthier” choices.
3. Read restaurant menus carefully for clues to fat and calorie content. Menu terms that can mean less fat and calories: baked, braised, broiled, grilled, poached, roasted, steamed.
4. Menu terms that can mean more fat and calories: batter-fried, pan-fried, buttered, creamed, crispy, breaded. Choose these foods only occasionally and in small portions.
5. Order the regular or child-size portion. Mega-sized servings are probably more than you need. For a lighter meal, order an appetizer in place of a main course.
6. It’s OK to make special requests, just keep them simple. For example, ask for a baked potato or side salad in place of French fries; no mayonnaise or bacon on your sandwich; sauces served on the side.
7. Hunger can drive you to eat too much bread before your meal arrives. Hold the bread or chips until your meal is served. Out of sight, out of mind.
8. Think about your food choices for the entire day. If you’re planning a special restaurant meal in the evening, have a light breakfast and lunch.
9. Limit the amount of alcohol you drink. No more than one drink for women and two for men. Alcohol tends to increase your appetite and provides calories without any nutrients.
10. Tempted by sweet, creamy desserts? Order one dessert with enough forks for everyone at the table to have a bite.