Is This Gluten Free?
Gluten is a protein found in some grains, most notably wheat, rye, and barley. For some people, gluten can cause illness as well as other types of discomfort such as gas, bloating, diarrhea, headache and rashes. To make things more confusing, gluten can hide under pseudonyms, some being just other names for flour and some are ingredients made from gluten-containing grains.
Products Made From Wheat
Unless these products are specifically labeled “gluten free” or in the case of tortillas “corn tortillas,” these products are typically made with wheat flour and contain gluten. Some corn tortillas will contain wheat flour, so it’s always wise to check the label.
- All purpose flour
- Flour Tortillas
- Pita bread
- Pie crust
- Other baked goods and pastries
Products Made From Barley
Many types of alcohol are made with barley but there are products that have gluten free variations such as beer, hard cider, gin, vodka, rum and tequila that are gluten free. Don’t want gluten? Then away from the following:
- Malt Vinegar
- Malted Milk Balls
Grains/Flours That Contain Gluten
- Graham flour
Also Known As
These aren’t always necessarily made from wheat, but unless the manufacturer claims that it’s gluten free, it is probably safer to avoid these.
- Glucose: a sugar that can be derived from wheat. If you’re in the USA it’s usually not wheat based (it will say “wheat” on the label if it’s there.) It tends to be very processed and tests have shown a very low gluten level, but some people have reported reactions.
- Vitamin E: sometimes derived from wheat germ, even in beauty products.
- Modified Food Starch: this is usually corn or soy in the USA and is gluten free. If it contains wheat, it must say “wheat” on the label.
- Tocopheryls: this means Vitamin E.
- Natural Flavors: sometimes made from barley, especially in caramel.
- Hydrolized Vegetable Protein: in many vegetarian meat replacements and shampoo.
- Maltodextrin: this is usually from corn in the USA and must say “wheat” on the label if it’s made from wheat.
At Fresh ‘N Fit Cuisine, our professional culinary team has prepared 5 gourmet menus, one of which is Gluten Free. With meals such as Pecan Crusted Tilapia, Caribbean Coconut Chicken, and Sriracha Grilled Cod, we make it easy for you to cut out glutens.